Bread has always been the basis of the diet of many countries. Nonetheless, in recent decades it has been criticized for its high-calorie intake and, therefore, held responsible for being overweight.
Luckily, there are many varieties of bread nowadays, including oat bread with banana and walnuts that we are going to tell you about, proving that it can be nutritious and healthy food. Below we present the recipe and properties of this delicious gluten-free or lactose-free oat bread, suitable for everyone.
Debate on bread
Bread is neither good nor bad for health. The real problem lies in the ingredients with which it is prepared and in the quantities consumed. It is a food rich in carbohydrates, an excellent source of energy for the body.
Read More: Gluten sensitivity: how to recognize it
However, it is very easy to gain weight if you abuse it. Homemade bread, with excellent quality ingredients, is undoubtedly an ideal component for breakfast or for main meals.
Furthermore, nowadays we are witnessing an industrial production of bread that involves the use of low-quality flours, ferments that cause swelling, and a large number of preservatives that give it a rubbery consistency and a short shelf life.
Faced with this situation, many bakers have decided to recover the ancient recipes of bread made at night, with patience, by hand, and with the use of spelled, rye or buckwheat flours.
Do oats contain gluten?
The basis of the recipe that we will show you is oatmeal. This cereal is very nutritious and has a high content of proteins and fibers. In addition, it promotes digestion and gives a lasting feeling of satiety.
Although oats do not contain gluten, they are sometimes processed with wheat flour and, therefore, can have traces of it. In this case, it could be dangerous for celiac people.
If you have this problem, you should always make sure that oat-based products are labeled “gluten-free” on the packaging. The same goes for yeast.
Oatmeal with bananas and nuts
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil (100 g)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- A tablespoon of sugar (10 g)
- 2 cups of finely ground oats (260 g)
- 2 well-ripened bananas
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts (150 g)
- 1 bag of baking powder (12 g)
This bread does not have to be kneaded, so it can be prepared quickly with the simple help of a beater.
- First of all, you need to beat the two eggs well.
- Add the oil and continue beating everything.
- Then add the water, bananas, sugar and beat well again. If it’s hot, use lukewarm water, if it’s cold, the water must be very hot.
- Gradually add the oats and mix well so as not to form lumps.
- When you have obtained a homogeneous liquid dough, add the yeast and mix all the ingredients again.
- Once ready, add the walnuts without beating the dough.
- Put the liquid dough in the fridge for half an hour, so that the leavening takes place through the reaction of the hot dough with the cold temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 210 ºC (at least for 10 minutes).
- After half an hour, the dough will have increased in volume. Pour it into a bread pan and bake for 50 minutes at 180 ºC.
- After 40 minutes, insert a knife into the dough to see if it is ready, as the cooking time can vary depending on the mold and the oven.
- When the bread is ready and compact but a little damp, let it cool out of the oven.
- We advise you to keep it in a cool and dry place and consume it within 4 or 5 days because it is a natural homemade bread and free of preservatives.