Do you want to reduce your consumption of bread and carbohydrates because you have the impression that they make you fat and bloat? We offer you a light, nutritious and healthy solution: seed crackers.
They are made with gluten-free flour and contain no butter or other dairy products. Discover this delicious recipe that will allow you to replace bread and the like with much healthier and more delicious food.
Is eating bread bad?
Bread is a food rich in carbohydrates that give us energy and satisfy us, therefore it is essential in our diet. However, its excessive consumption has some negative aspects:
- White bread, made with refined flour, can acidify the body too much, causing constipation or other intestinal problems.
- Yeast can cause bloating and indigestion.
- It is rich in gluten, the protein found in wheat. People who do not tolerate this nutrient well are constantly increasing.
- Contributes to overweight and the accumulation of abdominal fat.
- It alters blood glucose levels.
Alternatives to bread
If we want to reduce or eliminate white bread from our diet, we can choose from these healthier alternatives:
- Wholemeal bread, with different cereals: spelled, rye, oats, barley, rice, corn, etc.
- Rice or corn cakes.
- Buckwheat crepes or chickpea flour.
- Seed crackers.
- Mexican tortillas or Arabic bread.
These seed crackers, homemade with natural ingredients, bring us numerous benefits:
- They are very nutritious because they contain a large number of nutrients.
- They have a great satiating effect.
- They regulate and promote intestinal transit, especially if we suffer from constipation.
- They provide a good amount of fiber and essential fatty acids.
- They do not cause swelling.
- Consuming crunchy foods reduces nervous hunger and the urge to nibble outside meals.
- They are gluten-free, easily digestible, and suitable for celiac people.
These seed crackers are perfect for breakfast, snacks,s or snacks. Unlike industrial products, they do not contain additives, artificial flavors, fats that are harmful to health, or large amounts of salt.
How to make seed crackers at home
- 2 eggs.
- ½ glass of extra virgin olive oil (100 g)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt (7 g)
- Various spices, according to taste: oregano, pepper, turmeric, basil, thyme, garlic powder, etc …
- 1 glass of water (200 ml)
- 1 cup of rice flour (120 g)
- A cup of cornmeal (130 g)
- 1 cup of chickpea flour (130 g)
- 1 cup of various seed flour ( chia, sesame, flax, sunflower, pumpkin, poppy, etc.) (120 g)
The recipe does not involve the use of any type of yeast, because we want the crackers to be thin and crunchy.
The great advantage of this recipe is that we don’t have to knead. It will be enough to combine the ingredients in the blender because the mass is quite liquid.
- First of all, we will blend the eggs.
- We will then add the oil, salt, spices, and water.
- In a separate bowl we will mix the three flours, and then add them to the rest of the ingredients already blended.
- Finally, we will decide whether to add part of the seeds to the dough or if, on the contrary, leave them all to decorate the surface of the crackers, so as to make them more crunchy and tasty.
- We will cover the mixture with plastic wrap and put it to rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- We will cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, brush with a little oil and pour the dough.
- Once the mixture is spread, we will carefully add the seeds to distribute them evenly.
- We will bake in a preheated oven at 220º C for 20 or 30 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, we will let the mixture cool before cutting it into smaller portions.
- If we notice that the seeds do not adhere well, we can give a brush of beaten egg before baking.
How to accompany seed crackers
Here are some ingredients that go well with these crackers:
- Cherry tomatoes, avocado, and fresh cheese.
- Vegetarian paté.
- Cocoa cream.
- Clarified butter and jam.
The recipe also lends itself to a sweet version. In this case, just replace the salt with sugar and add spices such as cinnamon or mosquito. This variant is perfect with sweet creams or cheeses.