Cocoa cream is an indispensable food for many, children or adults, who usually consume it for breakfast or as a snack. The high content of unhealthy sugars and fats, however, makes it unsuitable for a healthy diet.
In this article, we give you the recipe for a cocoa cream to be prepared with natural, nutritious, and healthy ingredients. The flavor has nothing to envy to any other commercial cream.
Is a healthy cocoa cream possible?
Although cocoa cream is sold to us as nutritious food, this product usually contains too high a percentage of sugar and unhealthy fats derived from poor-quality vegetable oils.
- In the long run, these ingredients cause imbalances that can alter the level of cholesterol, sugar, and triglycerides in the blood.
- Furthermore, as we all know, they make you fat and promote the onset of tooth decay.
With this recipe, we propose to replace unhealthy ingredients with others that not only do not negatively affect our health but are also nutritious.
Alternatives to sugar
Sugar, especially refined white sugar, does not contain any nutrients and, moreover, acidifies the body and decalcifies the bones. For this reason, we should try to replace it, when possible, with other natural sweeteners:
- Stevia: contains no calories, is healthy, and regulates blood sugar levels.
- Honey: it is highly caloric, but it is an excellent sweetener with healing properties.
- Other sweeteners: whole cane sugar, agave syrup, maple syrup, molasses, the different types of syrup derived from cereals.
By giving preference to healthy fats, we not only maintain a healthy weight more easily. If we are overweight, they help us to activate the metabolism and burn fat better.
- We find healthy fats in coconut oil and nuts.
- These fats also serve to give creaminess and spreadability to our cocoa cream and make it an energetic and nutritious food.
How to prepare the spreadable cocoa cream
This delicious cocoa cream is sugar and lactose-free. It does not contain preservatives, but only the essential ingredients.
Read Also: Prepare sponge cake without flour, sugar
Cocoa and hazelnuts give energy and vitality.
- 5 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil (75 g)
- 3 tablespoons of toasted and finely ground hazelnuts (21 g)
- 5 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (50 g)
- 3 tablespoons of pure liquid stevia (30 ml)
- A few drops of vanilla extract
Note: the doses of the ingredients of this cream are indicative. You can change them as you like. If you want the cream to be more liquid and creamy, add more oil, if you prefer it thicker, increase the dose of cocoa a little. or hazelnuts a little.
- If you can’t find ground hazelnuts, you can prepare them yourself with a food processor. Blend them for several minutes, until you get an almost spreadable consistency.
- When the ambient temperature is below 23 ° C, find coconut oil in a solid-state. You will have to heat it slightly in a bain-marie to be able to work it.
- In a jar pour the chopped hazelnuts, coconut oil, and other ingredients. Mix thoroughly until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Your cocoa cream is ready!
We can get different results with some small variations in the ingredients.
- If you want to give a spicy note you can add spices such as cinnamon, ginger, or chili.
- To obtain a creamy but at the same time crunchy consistency, leave the coarser chopped hazelnuts.
- You can substitute coconut oil with a ripe banana or avocado.
- To obtain the two-tone effect, leave a part of the cream without cocoa. Mix the rest of the ingredients. This way you will get the classic brown and white cream.
- Add some coconut or other vegetable milk if the flavor of the cream seems too intense.
- Keep the cream in small portions in the freezer or refrigerator, using an ice cube mold: you will get simple but delicious bonbons.
- With a little milk, coconut, or vegetable, this cream becomes an ideal ingredient to fill crepes or accompany any type of dessert, from ice cream to desserts.